Anyone else sick of the endless stream of news stories about Black Friday and Cyber Monday? I know I am.
Yet, I have not seen a single news story about Giving Tuesday which is today!
It’s a simple idea. Just find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to come together to give something more. Then tell everyone you can about how you are giving. Be a part of a national celebration of our great tradition of generosity.
Instead of only focusing in on how you can spend money on yourself and gifts for others, this day was created so you could take some of your energy and dollars and put them towards worthy causes.
Last year, we started the #GivingTuesday weekly column here to shine a light on organizations that needed it and to encourage you to help. Today we want you to take the time to step up and make the world a better place.
So, besides donating to your favorite charity what else can you do?
Take and Share an #UNselfie on Instagram & Facebook
Upload a selfless selfie to your Instagram account and use the hashtags #UNselfie and #GivingTuesday to let the world know you support the cause.
Tweet Your Support
Here are a few tweets that you can copy and paste to help get the word out.
- #GivingTuesday is a day for everyone, everywhere, to GIVE! @GivingTues
- Celebrate #GivingTuesday- donate to a @GivingTues partner at givingtuesday.org
- Enough shopping –time for GIVING! Happy #GivingTuesday! @GivingTues
Post on Facebook to Show Your Support
Handy dandy status updates that can make a difference.
- Join the worldwide #GivingTuesday movement – take a moment to visit givingtuesday.org and donate to an organization that speaks to a cause you believe in!
- #GivingTuesday is a day for everyone, everywhere, to GIVE! Find a cause that matters to you at Givingtuesday.org
- Tell me how YOU are participating in #GivingTuesday. Take a video of your #GivingTuesday activities or take an #UNSelfie, and share what you’re doing on Facebook. Twitter or Instagram!
Change Your Avatars and Photos for the Day
We all know people may not notice when you get a haircut, but they do notice when you change your avatar. Consider using one of these to get even more attention.
Visit GivingTuesday.org to Find Out More
Take the time to find out as much as you can about this movement because I hope we can all agree it is better and more important than any of the other “special” days around Thanksgiving.
Thank you for helping make this years #GivingTuesday a big success!