Today’s students learn about the various social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest from a very early age. Did you know that these powerful platforms can be turned into a medium of education for the millennials, how cool is that?
A statistic has revealed that 9 out of 10 teenagers own at least one social media account by the time they reach middle school or high school. Social media has become an intrinsic part of today’s generation. People may think exposing teenagers to such platforms tend to have negative effects on them but if handled in the right way, there are lots of positives too.
Facebook is one of the most popular social media platforms consisting of millions of users. Facebook can be used in the most effective way when it comes to teaching.
- Facebook pages can be created for broadcasting useful information to the parents and the students.
- Create a Facebook group consisting of all the students. These groups are closed, hence more effective. Exchange useful information, links, files, videos, etc. in the group. The admin has a right to approve or reject a post, hence spamming can be controlled.
- You can create students’ poll to get feedback on a subject or teaching techniques and ask for improvement suggestions.
- Discussion topics can be set every week engaging the students to participate in an educational debate.
- Students can post their queries which can be answered on the group so that other students also can get the benefit from it.
People think that Twitter is used to tweet tending news, well that is one of the most important applications of the platform, but it is not just limited to that. There are many innovative ways of tweeting for teaching purposes:
- Teachers can set up an account which the students can follow. Information related to the classroom can be tweeted. Homework reminders can also be tweeted.
- Various hashtags can be used based on the classroom name, topic, and subject. It is easier to follow the activities via hashtags in the future.
Pinterest is all about creating a virtual Board where you can Pin your resources. Following are some interesting ways in which Pinterest can be used for educational purposes:
- To Pin all web resources of a subject for the students. You can create different Boards for different grades of students. You can also create Boards for different subjects.
- A Board can be created to bookmark all the important external links. Whenever such link needs to be located, just click on the Pin, simple. You can create relevant categories for the bookmarked content as well.
- Students can be encouraged to create their own Board where they can share educational resources with the rest of the class by adding those Pins on the Board.
Instagram is all about sharing images. This account can be really beneficial for fashion and art students as they can share their portfolios on their account and showcase their talent to the world. Students can follow each other to get inspiration from one another.
The video sharing platform is one of the most used for teaching purposes. You will find thousands of educational videos uploaded. You can easily create a YouTube channel and ask your students to subscribe. Upload educational videos and classes. Online teaching and learning are really effective especially for the students as they can watch the videos at their own pace and learn.
LinkedIn is primarily considered as a job search platform, but it is more than that. Students can follow the companies or personalities relevant to their subject. LinkedIn is used by companies to share useful content as well. The students can keep themselves updated by going through such latest educational and trending topics.
Students are already enthusiastic about these social media platforms, though most of them are using it for their personal reasons. Why not divert all the craze of using social media in the direction of education? This way, learning can become both fun and innovative.