It is incredibly easy to blow your budget on groceries. It is incredibly unlikely that you have never splurged when grocery shopping. However, although it is okay to splurge every now and then, it is not something you should do regularly.
If you think that you are spending too much when you are going grocery shopping, here are some easy ways you can save money at the grocery store, as well as alternative ways you can save money on groceries.
Tips to save money at the grocery store
- Stick to a shopping list: when you go shopping without a shopping list, you are more likely to spend money on things you don’t need, or purchase items that you won’t use throughout the week. When you have a list, you are more likely to stick to your budget.
- Don’t shop when you’re hungry: this is one of the most important rules of shopping! Instead, shop on a full stomach, as it means you are less likely to buy snacks and other items you don’t really need.
- Plan before you shop: this is another easy way to save money when you shop. Before you go, try to create a rough plan for your meals for the week. That way, you can be certain that you are buying exactly what you need for the week, and you won’t have to go to the shops throughout the week.
Alternative ways to save on food
- Cook everything from scratch: instead of buying a lot of takeaways and ready meals, consider cooking almost every meal you have from scratch. Even if you spend just $15 every other week, you will be spending $390 throughout the year, so cooking from scratch can save you a huge amount of money.
- Reduce your meat consumption: a lot of people reduce their meat consumption for environmental benefits, but it is also great for your wallet. Even if you just have one day where you don’t eat meat, it can save you a lot of money over time.
- Start gardening: if you have some outdoor space (or a large balcony), why not take up a new hobby and start growing your own fruit and vegetables? Although it will take time (and some manual labor!), growing your own produce can save you a lot of money over time. Moreover, it is a great way to relax and can be a fun activity to do with the whole family.
Gardening tips for beginners
If you have decided that you want to start growing your own fruits, vegetables, and herbs in order to save money on your grocery shop, here are some easy tips to help you get started:
- Choose easy-to-grow vegetables: some vegetables are easier to grow than others. If you are a beginner, some of the easiest fruits and vegetables are garlic, peppers, tomatoes and squashes.
- Pick the vegetables you use regularly: if you really want to save money on your grocery shop, you need to make sure that you are growing plants you actually use! This way, you will be saving more money as you will no longer have to buy a lot of the fruit and vegetables you would usually have to buy. Moreover, the more time you spend out in the garden, the less you will have to spend on your Centerpoint energy bill.
- Make sure you plant at the right time: although some plants are easy to grow, there are only certain times of the year you can plant them. Most can be planted in spring, summer or fall, so you need to do your research before you start planting.
There are some incredibly easy ways to save a lot of money at the grocery store, and one of the most rewarding ways to save money is to start growing your own fruit and vegetables.