As an accountant offering their services, it can be challenging to find ways to reach and engage with potential business clients, especially if you’re competing with bigger firms with more money. Increasingly, the small accounting firm is relying on social media.
But wait. Social media for accountants? Who will want to engage with that kind of content?
Actually, with the right approach, social media can be a powerful tool for B2B marketing and lead generation for accountants.
In this article, we’ll provide you with tips on how to improve your B2B social media engagement, from choosing the right platforms to creating valuable content and building relationships with your audience.
Why B2B Social Media Matters for Accountants
Businesses of all types and sizes need to be tech-savvy and proactive in their approach to marketing. And accountants are no different. Social media offers a unique opportunity for accountants to connect with other businesses and showcase their expertise.
Here are some reasons why B2B social media engagement matters for accountants:
- Establishing credibility and trust: By sharing valuable content and engaging with your audience on social media, you can demonstrate your expertise and build trust with potential clients.
- Increasing visibility and reach: Social media allows you to reach a wider audience and promote your accounting services to businesses that might not be aware of your firm.
- Generating leads and referrals: By building relationships with other businesses on social media, you can increase the likelihood of generating leads and referrals for your accounting services.
Choosing the Right Social Media Platforms for B2B Engagement
Choosing the right social media platforms is key to reaching and engaging with other businesses. Taking time to understand your audience and build content tailored to them can be hugely effective.
While there is one platform that might stand out as an obvious B2B marketing platform for accountants, there are other places you can promote your services too:
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is the top platform for B2B networking and establishing professional relationships. By sharing valuable content and participating in industry groups, you can build relationships with other businesses and showcase your accounting services to potential clients. You can also build your audience with regular content and by engaging with others too.
- Twitter: Twitter is a useful platform for promoting your accounting services and reaching potential clients. By using hashtags and participating in industry chats, you can increase your visibility and engage with other businesses. Increasingly the use of threads is how to catch engagement and attention on Twitter.
- Facebook: While Facebook is primarily a B2C platform, it can still be useful for B2B marketing. By creating a Facebook page for your accounting firm and sharing valuable content, you can reach potential clients and establish credibility.
- Reddit: The ‘front page of the internet’ has become one of the biggest and most trusted repositories of user generated content. You can sign up as a user with your business account, engage with people asking questions in your sector on specific subreddits and then share useful content whenever possible. If you’ve not tried Reddit, you might be surprised.
- Quora: The question and answer website is one of the best best places to build yourself as an authority on a subject. Sign up and join groups, and get alerted whenever a question is asked that you can answer. You do need to offer quite in-depth responses to get the necessary attention, but this can be a great tool for building B2B clients.
- TikTok: While this is very much a ‘fun’ platform, there is a place for attracting a certain type of client. The entrepreneurial Gen-z audience will love humourous content on the subject of doing their taxes of processing payroll. And any tips to help them find a cheap accountant will always be appreciated.
Creating Valuable Content for B2B Social Media Engagement
Creating valuable content is key to attracting and engaging with other businesses on social media. Simply sharing a boring text update about something that is happening in your industry just isn’t going to cut it.
Bold visuals are going to be very important as part of your B2B marketing strategy, but also the use of ‘the hook’.
This is an engaging opening line or statement that attracts the viewer and keeps them engaged.
So what do you share if you’re doing accountant marketing on social media?
- Tax tips and financial planning advice: By sharing tips and advice on tax planning and financial management, you can demonstrate your expertise and provide value to your audience. You can help people spot opportunities to lower their taxes (legally of course) and help them streamline their financial planning.
- Case studies and success stories: Got a good client story? This is always a win when attracting new clients. By sharing case studies and success stories of other businesses you have helped, you can showcase your accounting services and establish credibility.
- Industry news and insights: Let’s be honest. Your target audience are most likely not paying close attention to changes in financial legislation or any opportunities for small businesses. Share updates and help people understand what they’re entitled to and you’ll build some great engagement.
Putting it simply, when doing marketing for accountants, make the content easy to understand (avoid jargon at all costs), use clear images whenever possible and keep it simple.
Building Relationships and Engaging with Your Audience
Building relationships with other businesses on social media requires consistent engagement and interaction. Although posting content is one thing, like any business interaction, it’s all in how you manage relationships.
To build relationships and engage with your audience, you’ll need to:
- Respond to comments and messages – Ideally within an hour of the comment being posted
- Ask questions and participate in conversations – This might be in groups or on other people’s posts
- Participate in industry events and conferences – Don’t limit yourself to your own content, but build a network beyond your industry
Measuring B2B Social Media Engagement
Measuring the effectiveness of your B2B social media engagement is crucial to understanding what works and what doesn’t. Here are some metrics to track when measuring your social media engagement:
- Reach: The number of people who have seen your social media posts.
- Engagement: The number of likes, comments, and shares on your social media posts.
- Click-through rate: The number of clicks on the links in your social media posts.
- Conversion rate: The number of leads or sales generated from your social media posts.
By tracking these metrics, you can determine which platforms and types of content are most effective for engaging with other businesses on social media.
Social media can be a powerful tool for B2B marketing and lead generation for accountants and financial services clients. In fact, like any business, it is a key part of any marketing strategy.
Whichever platform, or platforms you use, you can improve your B2B social media engagement and attract potential clients to your accounting services.
- Create valuable content and focus on simplicity
- Use images, infographics, videos and simple explainers as often as possible
- Engage with comments or other people’s posts for maximum visibility
- Be consistent with your messaging and post regularly